Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gaming Practices in Curriculum/Pedagogy


I’ve still been caught up trying to wrap my head around video games.  From what I’ve gathered, the use of video games in an educational context still mostly revolves around implementing drill and skill games interlaced with traditional teaching practices.  While this may be effective in increasing specific skills, there are many other gaming motifs which are left out of the equation.  After reading James Paul Gee’s article “What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy”, I was left with some optimistic insights on how to innovate a classroom based around successful gaming mantras.  However, the fact is there haven’t been many attempts to implement a potentially resourceful and educational innovation in a real-life classroom setting.

To sum up the article, Gee first states (after mentioning his book in the first paragraph), “that schools, workplaces, and families can use games and game technologies to enhance learning” (p. 1).  He then cites some references which state that science itself supports this notion, as there is evidence that our brains can excel at learning within a computer/video game interface.  He goes on further to cite how motivation can be increased through the use of these games, and therefore deeper learning can occur.  There is also mention of how video games appropriately scaffold certain skill sets during play, which is what any experienced teacher should eventually try to master.

What has confronted me the most on this article is when Gee states that in these games, “players engage in ‘action at a distance’, much like remotely manipulating a robot, but in a far more fine-grained fashion. Cognitive research suggests that such fine-grained action at a distance actually causes humans to feel as if their bodies and minds have stretched into a new space [Clark 2003]…” (p. 3).

How can an educator produce a classroom where students invest in a sort of ‘avatar’, where they produce deep learning while also being engaged in fantasy?  I normally think back to debate activities certain classrooms would hold, and the act of identifying specific ‘lenses’ to look through  as a character in the debate.  Even if I didn’t agree with the debate team I was on, I enjoyed the challenge of forcing myself to think against my intuition.  This, I felt, eventually led to my understanding of acquiring and mastering perspectives.

But that’s just perspectives.  How can a teacher implement this “action at a distance” when it comes to literacy?  I suspect utilizing group and individual roles would be a start.  In an English program, I could envision sorting students into a microcosm for journalism, for example.  I could assign (and redistribute) roles such as reporters, editor, photographer, editor-in-chief, and so on to create an exciting environment where students somewhat forget that they’re students in a classroom, and ‘pretend’ they’re invested in a hot case. 

That’s exactly what Gee wants to see with computer and video games; to allow students to excel by becoming something they’re not, while acquiring learning that they didn’t have before.  As his last line states:  “the real importance of good computer and video games is that they allow people to re-create themselves in new worlds and achieve recreation and deep learning at one and the same time” (p. 3).

Gee, S. (October 2003). What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy. Computers in Entertainment- Theoretical and Practical Computer Applications in Entertainment, 1(1), 1-4. Retrieved from: http://dl.acm.org.proxy.lib.iastate.edu:2048/citation.cfm?doid=950566.950595

6 comments:

  1. I thought your blog about video games in the classroom was very thought-provoking. It's difficult to imagine how to incorporate these single and multi-player video games in an educational manner. Most of the time I see gaming incorporated as a sort of classroom activity. For example, "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" style games are usually used as a review session for an upcoming exam. When I think of incorporating video games, my mind tends to make the idea more broad in terms of games in general, such as card games, video “arcade” style games, amd interactive adventure games, all of which support different strategies and learning styles. The first approach I would take is trying to match the course topic with the video game topic, such as Age of Empires and Civilizations video game may be best suited for a history class, or Sim City may be best suited for a Geography or Civil Engineering class. The next step may be to try to match the game's objectives with the course content. For example, Roller Coaster Tycoon is entirely about building machines to specifications and tolerances, which would work well with a Physics, Math, or Engineering class. Also, Cruise Ship Tycoon is entirely about managing budgets, purchasing supplies, and ensuring financial success, which would work well with a Business, Economics, or Management class. Unfortunately, many video games are not a "one size fits all." I think that would be my biggest struggle with incorporating video games into the classroom, as some students' learning styles may be adverse to or have difficulty using the video games. If you do incorporate video games, I think it's important to not only play the game, but then study the content and refer back to the game. I remember playing "Oregon Trail" in elementary school and thinking, "Best 2 weeks ever! I don't have to do anything but play a game!" Our teacher never talked about the game after those two weeks were up, and in retrospect it was honestly a waste of classroom time. Another method would be to study the content and then use the video game for application and assessment, or alternate playing the game with activities that extend the game and learning. Most of these ideas were not actually my own. I learned them from a instructional course in my undergrad that BRIEFLY talked about a possibility of incorporating video games... but most of the information was more theory than application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe~ I like your idea to create a real-life classroom for students and it is interesting. Most of the time, students don't understand why they learn this or that. If teachers can create a situation, which can attract students, I think they would love to learn more. Students can learn creative thinking during the process because they have to think what they should do if they are in that position.
    Thanks for your sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing Irene! I love the idea that students can be something they aren't, but still be involved in something that takes deep thinking skills. I was researching earlier on video games for the Classroom, and I came across this website that listed quite a few. I didn't realize it, but many games include history information, physics, math, and life skills like communication. This website which I may blog about later was...http://www.collegeathome.com/blog/2008/06/03/virtual-learning-25-best-sims-and-games-for-the-classroom/ Nice on Joe!

    -Cali

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a comment on here a few days ago, but for some reason it has disappeared. Luckily I was aware of the issue and was able to print screen my comment. I will re-type it soon.

    I wanted to make two quick comments. (1) Your blog posts on video games has led me to inquire about video games and literacy on my own. I will be posting a blog about a research article discussing video games' effects on literacy soon. (2) I found an interesting online application for children, grades K-12, to create 2-D video games. I am attempting to come up with ideas on how creating video games would help with literacy, but when I jot some ideas down I will be sure to blog about it. You can check out the site here: http://www.stencyl.com/

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My posts are not going through for some reason. So... third times the charm? I am using the Anonymous posting selection. - Caitlin.

    I posted a comment on here a few days ago, but for some reason it has disappeared. Luckily I was aware of the issue and was able to print screen my comment. I will re-type it soon.

    I wanted to make two quick comments. (1) Your blog posts on video games has led me to inquire about video games and literacy on my own. I will be posting a blog about a research article discussing video games' effects on literacy soon. (2) I found an interesting online application for children, grades K-12, to create 2-D video games. I am attempting to come up with ideas on how creating video games would help with literacy, but when I jot some ideas down I will be sure to blog about it. You can check out the site here: http://www.stencyl.com/

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great discussion going on gaming in literacy! I don't know if you have had time to check out Cali's website, but very interesting. It kind of connects to Caitlin's ideas as she suggested tying the goals of the game to the curriculum objectives. I do think all of you are on to something - it's not about drill and skill games, but thought-provoking problem solving type games that teach students strategies to problem solve.

    ReplyDelete