Thursday, September 22, 2011

S' This Spelng?


       The topic of texting isn’t necessarily simple, so I’ll attempt to make this post as brief as possible.  Prior to reading this article, I had a very shallow opinion regarding the use of texting to increase literacy.  What primarily came to mind was an idea that stuck with me ever since I read the novel 1984 ’s depiction of newspeak, which I’m paraphrasing or directly phrasing by saying: “simplify the language to simplify the mind”.  The article I read, which shared some perks regarding teaching literacy with texting, definitely softens my stand a bit.
            Steve Vosloo’s (2009) article first begins discussing the “no’s” of the texting/literacy debate by citing articles where the authors definitely did not support the use of texting.  Many of the critics held the similar notions to mine, even comparing texting as the “Genghis Khan” of the literacy world. 
Immediately after that, he begins his foray into the benefit of texting by specifically stating “ leveraging the extensive reading and writing that happens – in the form of texting – holds potential for literacy development” (p. 3).  I found this appealing, as he doesn’t outright claim that texting will definitely help literacy development, but explains that the article is helping show the potential this form of technology can bring to the classroom.
Two methods of utilizing text messaging really stuck out to me in this article.  First, was the concept that texting could be used as a basis for a lesson in writing to an audience.  I can picture myself asking students to write a sentence or paragraph in a fashion of a text (or have them actually text the message), and then find collaborative ways for them to edit each other’s messages to fit the context of re-sending the message in a formal format. 
The second idea the article mentions is the ability to use texting and technology to display a brief glimpse of the history of the English language, such as comparing the writing from an older novel to the writing on a myspace page.
I didn’t get any information on the science of how texting improves literacy from this article.   I would rather read an article which gives helpful solutions, rather than an article which only points out constraints.  My opinion about texting and literacy really hasn’t changed since reading this, although I’m not so stubborn that I won’t implement the use of texting in my classroom.  I agree with Vosloo that in moderation, text-messaging may be very valuable to educators, especially when getting student’s attention or getting their initial thoughts on a paper or screen. 
           
Vosloo, S. (April 2009). The effects of texting on literacy:  Modern scourge or opportunity? Shuttleworth Foundation, 1-8.

Link to google scholar pdf link:

1 comment:

  1. I think the best way to consider cell phone use in class would be to consider our professor's question on whether technology is innovating or integrating. In other words, is it helping the learning process in a new and unique way, or is it a force fit in which technology is being used for technology's sake. I don't know if I would use cell phones in my classroom. While the website Poll Everywhere (http://www.polleverywhere.com/), mentioned in your previous blog, provides anonymous voting and may engage the students in the activity, it often times seems to be a forced fit into the lesson plan, and leaves the teacher with a collection of cell phones sitting out to be used after the activity is completed. I think cell phone use is not the best use of technology in the classroom. However, I do think cell phones have potential for innovation in the classroom, but I have yet to see what that may be.

    ReplyDelete