Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Teacher Technology Training


                I remember one of the class discussions revolving around the idea that even though teachers may have technology readily available, they may not yet be competent enough to use it.  I thought it was a good discussion, and it brought to mind when I first began using technology in school during the 4th grade.  We were brought in to the brand new (and very first) computer lab, and told to use “yahoo kids” for our insect presentations.  I also remember the new tech guy, who was brought in to help the teacher help us search for information online. Nowadays, using the internet is just one of the many things teachers need to learn how to use, and learn how to teach. 
                While I did a search for whiteboards the other day, I found a report on a whiteboard initiative in Great Britain. As I skimmed through it, I found a quote that stuck out to me:

“… when teachers have had sustained experience (around two years) of using an interactive whiteboard, they are able to change their teaching practices to make best use of its facilities.”
                                                                                    -Centre for ICT, Pedagogy and Learning
               
                The report then went on to give the positive and negative results of whiteboards being put into primary schools, with most of the results were positive ones.  The report also states that the effectiveness of a school’s professional development, in regards to using whiteboards, is a key factor in determining how well the faculty as a whole.  I posted the link for this report below.  I would recommend skimming through it, as a few other things might jump out at you. 
                I often wondered, during student teaching, if getting more technology into a school could fix problems such as student achievement scores and overall school involvement.  I’m sure it isn’t the only factor, but with teachers willing to learn and rework a new pedagogy with technology, I feel it would make a huge difference.

And just think…
If mastering a whiteboard takes up to two years, just imagine what technology we’ll need to be learning in the future, and how exciting that will be! 

http://downloads01.smarttech.com/media/research/international_research/uk/becta_executive_expansion_summary.pdf 



3 comments:

  1. I am actually teaching a 1-credit online course right now on interactive whiteboards. And, the professional development behind using the board is something districts much consider. Using them in the classroom, is a totally different "beast." If done mindfully, it will change your teaching because the lessons are totally different than what we are used to doing with a 2D whiteboard.With this technology there seems to be a learning curve to learn how to use the IWB and then another to become pedagogically sound in using it!! Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! This makes me think of the time I got introduced to the computer and how to do things on it. It's funny to think about now because even to this day I don't know how to do certain things on the computer (especially with all the updates that keep coming along and the new programs).

    Learning how to use a piece of technology never stops. There are always things you will keep figuring out and modifying. I think the reason technology can be so intimidating to teachers is the overwhelming amount of actions ONE piece of technology can do.

    Good comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some teachers are resistant to using technology as a means to improve achievement and test scores because they reference the "old days" when technology was not a possibility and achievement and test scores were high. My response is always that students then are vastly different than students today. Each generation is different from the last, the same as each decade is different from its predecessor. I think teachers can use technology to improve achievement and test scores, and I agree with your blog. Our students today are extremely connected to technology, probably more than any generation, and thus changes the way they think and learn. But technology isn't the holy grail on its own. As you stated in your blog, it's important to train teachers on how to use technology in order to make it effective and relevant in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete